Friday, September 25, 2020

Celebrating diversity in PTECH...


What do you know about Yom Kippur?



By Brianna Dove
Ptech Class of 2021

Not many people know the actual meaning of Yom Kippur. Most people think it is just a free day out of school. The actual meaning of Yom Kippur is that Yom Kippur, also known as the Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year in Judaism. Its central themes are atonement and repentance. Jews traditionally observe this holy day with a day-long fast and intensive prayer, often spending most of the day in synagogue services. Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah are known as Judaism’s “High Holy Days.” According to tradition, the first Yom Kippur took place after the Israelites’ exodus from Egypt and arrival at Mount Sinai, where God gave Moses the Ten Commandments. When Moses came down the mountain, he found the people worshiping a golden calf. Moses destroyed the tablets in anger, but the people atoned for their sin, so God forgave them - so the day of atonement. 

Some traditions that people who celebrate Yom Kippur have is refraining from work that is prohibited on Shabbat, plus five additional prohibitions: 1) eating or drinking; 2) bathing; 3) anointing the body with oil; 4) wearing leather shoes; and 5) sexual relations. They do this so they can feel closer to god. 

Yom Kippur and Christianity have some similarities. Christian fast as well. But some Christians also celebrate the holiday. Three ways you can celebrate it are First, you can extend radical forgiveness. Just as Jesus has given us grace, we too can extend grace and heal broken relationships during Yom Kippur. Second, you can consider fasting for a meal or entire day. During your time of fasting, spend time praying and meditating on the gifts God has given us. Third, you can gather your family and friends for a Tashlich ceremony. In Jewish culture, during this ceremony the people of the synagogue go down to a local stream or river and empty their pockets of crumbs, symbolizing sins being washed away. 

Although I’m not Jew, I appreciate the fact that I can learn from other cultures. We naturally tend to be with people like us. However, celebrating diversity helps us to learn about other people and their histories. It discourages racism, because racism is often born out of fear and ignorance. Understanding people and their backgrounds is important to personal and community growth.

Enjoy your day off along with the Jewish community here in RI and around the world!



Brianna Dove

22 comments:

Ms. Pacitto said...

Brianna, you are a rockstar!
Well done!
Ms. Pacitto

Mrs. Yeaw said...

Brianna, excellent job. This was an interesting piece. I hope to read more of your blog posts.

Ms. Yeaw

Unknown said...

This is an awesome piece of writing. I love the last part where you mentioned racism being "...born out of fear and ignorance". Keep up the great work, Brianna.

Mr. Cherry
School Psychologist

Unknown said...

Nice, I learned something by reading your blog. Thank you!!!!
Mr. Force
School Nurse

Unknown said...

Well done! Thank you for teaching me something new!

Mrs. Accetta

Mr. Lighty said...

Very interesting. Now I know why I have the day off.

Unknown said...

I definitely learned something today! Great Job!
Ms Rawcliffe

Angela said...

Thank you, Brianna. I appreciate your desire to learn about the religious practices of others. Consideration (by way of your interest) and kindness (by way of your attitude) are excellent character traits to have and develop.

CYBERmania said...

Thank you Brianna for this post. I truly like your writing style - hope you'll publish more posts like this one to inform and educate me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This was a very good read. I appreciate you dropping such knowledge on a day as you said " Most People think it is just a free day out of school." I hope to read future blog posts from you. - Emanuel Nash

SAMUDRA LARESE TEAR said...

Hi Brianna, I really love the way you told the story, it made perfect sense and I understood. Thank you for telling us that.

Thank you,

Samudra Tear

SAMUDRA LARESE TEAR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you Brianna, I now understand what this holiday is about and what it means to other people.
Arianne A.

Anonymous said...

HI Brianna, I enjoy how you worded your story thank you for teaching me something new.

Unknown said...

Thank you Brianna I learned a lot about this Holiday and I enjoy reading your blog.

Josue Chang

Anonymous said...

Howdy Brianna,
Thank you for such a good reading my brain and myself really think you have done good job. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brianna,
Thank you for informing me and my peers on the true meaning of Yom Kippur. I really never thought about it's meaning and only saw it as a day off but now that i've been informed my view point has been changed.

Unknown said...

Hi Brianna.
I was well informed this information you have provided. I won't think of this day as a day off of school anymore.

Unknown said...

so you cant eat all day that's kind tuff

Unknown said...

This was very well written and from now on I dont see it as a day for vacation.

Unknown said...

Dearest Brianna,

I want to thank you for your lovely article teaching others the meaning of the holiday. Wow! You did a great job.

Sincerely,
Miss Kellner

Avoid Coronavirus Scams!

                                            AVOID CORONAVIRUS SCAMS! By: Nikerson Frederique Cybersecurity Instructor Since the first corona...